20 Free Techniques to Find Your Dream Career
If you’re in a job or career that’s not really inspiring you, then now is the time to start planning your next move. I’ve put together 20 simple techniques to get you inspired to take a few steps closer to finding your dream career.
Just pick a few of these techniques and commit to making them happen over the next few weeks and I guarantee you’ll start feeling inspired and ready to finally make some changes in your career.
This list will get you super organized so you can start to make the changes you’ve been dreaming of!
20 Free Techniques to Find your Dream Career
1. Pick one company you’ve always wanted to work for and spend 30 minutes researching them online
2. Sign up for an online course in your dream field and experiment to see if you like it.
3. Research meetups relevant to your industry and go along to at least one.
4. Your personal values will drive your perfect career choice. Don’t know what your values are? You can attend my free masterclass where I take you through a mini values workshop. Register for free >>here.
5. Sign up for online newsletters for the industry you’re considering as a career option. Check out SmartBrief to find the best newsletters for all industries.
6. Join a linked in group that’s related to one of your chosen career interests.
7. Spend 30 minutes brainstorming what your transferable skills are. What are you naturally good at that you could use in a different industry that you’re passionate about?
8. Give yourself a deadline for changing careers. When we have a deadline this creates the motivation we need to take action. Commit to making a change by a certain date and you’ll be inspired to get to work!
9. Create a vision board of what you want. Cut out images from magazines that reflect exactly what you’re looking for in your dream career or business. Keep this vision board somewhere where you can see it every day.
10. Put your networking hat on. Make an effort to get out to events or social gatherings that you might not normally attend and ask people about what they do. Get some insight into what career options exist that you might not be aware of.
11. Identify which of your current work tasks you really enjoy and consider which industries these tasks might also apply to. Make a list and get brainstorming!
12. Get quiet. Spend 10 minutes meditating to see what comes up when you consider what your passion might be. Tune into your intuition – maybe deep down you already know what you want to do.
13. Get real about investing in your career change. Put together a savings plan to support your transition phase and to cover any training or courses you may need to take.
14. Reach out to someone who’s already in your dream industry and ask them about their job. Take them for a coffee and find out as much as you can about what they do every day.
15. Create a spreadsheet and list all of your ideas in the one place. Include companies you’re interested in, industries that you like the look of and key, relevant people who might be able to help you.
16. Host a passions brainstorm. Spend 30 minutes identifying what your passions are and what you just LOVE to do. Once you have your list of passions, consider which type of careers or industries might align with them.
17. Take advantage of free career trainings. In my free 1 hour Masterclass I give you access to a free career tool and tonnes of resources to help you find a new career in just 30 days. You can register here for the free Masterclass.
18. Find someone else who has changed careers and ask them how they did it.
19. Find someone who is an expert in your dream field or industry. Look for interviews of them on youtube talking about their career and how they got started.
20. Visualise the end goal. Know that it IS possible for you to find your dream career. Plenty of other people have done it and there’s no reason why you can’t too!
Know someone who wants to change careers? Share this list with them 🙂
I’d love to hear what your career change ideas are in the comments below. Tell me.
P.S. Want even more free career resources? Don’t miss my free 1 hour Career Masterclass. You’ll get access to a free online career tool so you can stop working just to pay the bills and start doing what you LOVE. Register >>here.