I recently watched a really informative keynote by Dr Deepak Chopra who revealed that the number one, (not number two or three), but number one thing that makes people happy is….wait for it….
Can you believe it? The research showed that shopping was the most important activity for people in terms of their own personal happiness (in America). In-case you’re wondering, number two was food and number three was sex (don’t even get me started on those two…).
So…I’ve been thinking about a few things. In a world where we are known as consumers instead of people, isn’t it time we figured out a way to at least shop or consume in an ethical manner, with a purpose? If we must shop, then can we at least shop in a way that helps the environment or has a positive aspect to it. And the answer I believe is yes. There are sustainable shopping options out there that allow us to not only gain from the experience personally, but to also give back at the same time.
One of those options is Native Box. This innovative idea involves a (recycled of course) cardboard box filled with eco friendly, sustainable, Australian products to try out each month. The box is delivered straight to your door so it’s like receiving a surprise box of guilt-free treats! I really like this idea – it’s innovative but also gives back to the environment.
In my box I received lots of different products and all were decent travel sized samples (not just small sachets). I particularly loved the Bush Flower Essences face wash serum, which is made of pure essences from native Australian plants and smells just divine! I also enjoyed the therapeutic rose bath salts and the petrochemical free papaya ointment (this works wonders on chapped lips). There was a really nice selection of goodies and it was a nice feeling to know that each of these products was helping the environment in some way.
So next time you feel the need for a shopping spree, perhaps you can take a moment to consider a more ethical or sustainable option? I did it this month and it really made me feel great, while also giving back.
Simple Life Strategy: How to Enjoy Guilt-Free Shopping
1. Consider trying sustainable shopping options such as Native Box
2. When you’re out on your next shopping spree, actively look for the organic, eco-friendly options
3. Next time you’re purchasing a gift, consider how you could give back by choosing something that is sustainable or environmentally friendly
4. When you’re using or trying out your new eco-friendly products notice how much more satisfying it is when you know that these products are helping the environment or local producers in some way
5. Commit to at least become aware of eco-friendly options from now on! It will make your shopping sprees more healthy and support other local sustainable businesses in the process: Win: Win!
Disclaimer: I was given a Native Box free of charge. All opinions expressed above are my own.
If you enjoyed this please share it with others!
More Simple Life Strategies:
- How to Stop Trying to Control Everything
- What You Need to Know About Stress
- How to Use Your Intuition to Your Advantage
Category: simple life strategies